Vis-Sim.com Forums Forum Index Vis-Sim.com Forums
3D Real-Time Simulation Services, Resources and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

terrain rendering using openscenegraph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vis-Sim.com Forums Forum Index -> OpenSceneGraph OSG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vijeesh
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: terrain rendering using openscenegraph Reply with quote

Hi

I'm trying to render a terrain that is created using CTS (Creator Terrain Studio). I don't know how to link the textures to the flt file. Is there any sample program which will render the terrain. Also I .. to generate the terrain using VirtualPlanetBuilder. Is there any document/help which gives the detailed procedure. Please help me.

Thanks
Vijeesh T
UrbanLegend
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Typically textures created by CTS are output to be used with a certain type of rendering engine such as Vega Prime LADBM or Terrex Terrapage which both use a Virtual Texture manager which use a tiles and pyramided ( resolution set ) .

So to use them out side you would have to have a reader that understands the output format you used
UrbanLegend
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

The problem with the textures from CTS is the FLT files do not actually have any idea what REAL texture they will use, the process creates UV for texture but applies a default noise texture

The actual terrain texture is saved as the virtual texture typically with a Row/column naming scheme an

At run-time modules such Vega Prime LADBM then loaded the actual terrain texture and substitute the noise texture with the correct terrain texture tile with the open-flight elevation file (as typically this is done on a row/column)

CTS stores the mapping detail in some auxiliary files that Vega Prime etc would read and then understand how the texture and elevation file are linked .

If you .. to use these file in OSG then you will have to write code to do the work Vega Prime and LADBM would do .

If memory serves me right I think someone was working on this in OSG land but cannot remember seeing a solution made public
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vis-Sim.com Forums Forum Index -> OpenSceneGraph OSG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: